FTX-920 - AMAZING GRACE
JEAN RITCHIE - In Concert
In concert, with Mountain Dulcimer, Jean talks about her family traditions,
play-party children's games, ballads, sacred songs & dance-tunes. She includes
3 of her own recent compositions, as well as a MAY SONG from England and GREENWOOD
LADDIE from Ireland. This is a live concert performance with the audience joining
in and with local musicians playing along with her. Born in the Cumberland Mountains
of Kentucky, songs from her family were noted by the English collector, Cecil
Sharp, during the First World War. Jean has given concerts all over the USA
& these recordings were selected from a number of them.
1. Talk about her family - 0'33"
2. THE LITTLE LONESOME DOVE (unacc.) talk before - 3'12"
3. GOING TO BOSTON (dulcimer/vocal) talk before - 3'23"
4. JACKARO or JACK MUNRO (with dulcimer) talk before - 5'09"
5. THE LITTLE DEVILS (THE FARMER'S CURST WIFE) with whistling/ talk before
6. Children's Games: (a) JENNY PUT THE KETTLE ON (b) GREEN GROWS THE WILLOW
TREE (unacc) talk before - 2'31"
7. THE LADY ALL SKIN AND BONE (with dulcimer) talk before - 1'49"
8. BREAD OF HEAVEN (unacc. hymn) talk before - 2'24"
9. LONG, LONESOME WAY (hymn with audience) talk before - 3'17"
10. SHADY GROVE (with dulcimer & local band) talk before - 2'43"
11. Reading from her book: THE SINGING FAMILY OF THE CUMBERLANDS - 8'15"
12. A MAY DAY CAROL (with dulcimer) - 1'57"
13. THE GREENWOOD LADDIE (unacc.) (from Sean O Boyle, Co Armagh, Ireland)
talk before - 2'39"
14. STILL I LOVE HIM [J.R.] (with dulcimer) talk before - 5'10"
15. LAST OLD TRAIN [J.R.] (with dulcimer & Peter Pickow, her son, on
guitar) talk befor - 4'04"
16. THE EARLY FIELDS [J.R.] (unacc.) talk before - 2'58"
17. AMAZING GRACE (with audience joining in) talk before - 4'54"
First published by Greenhays Recordings: GRC 101. Re-issued and first published
on Folktrax cassettes 1997. Songs copyright Jean Ritchie, Ritchie Family & Geordie Music Publishing Company.