- COLIN'S CATTLE
THE HEBRIDES - S. UIST & ERISKAY
Scots Gaelic song including actuality milking songs from Mrs Kate Nicholson
and her cow on South Uist as well as her version of THE CHRIST CHILD LULLABY,
10 Waulking Songs (cloth stretching), 3 puirt-a-beul (mouth music), 3 lullabies,
a pibroch tune and Farewell Song. From Eriskay, the famous Love-lilt and Lullaby,
originally collected by Peter Kennedy's great aunt, Marjorie Kennedy-Fraser
and published in her SONGS OF THE HEBRIDES. Lead singers from Eriskay are Don
MacKinnon and John MacInnes
1. Orainn Bhleoghainn (Milking Songs) Kate NICHOLSON: CRODH CHALEIN (Colin's
Cattle) - 4'40"
2. CHIUINAN GRADH (Dear Cow) - 1'42"
3. Interview with collector, Alan Lomax - 0'25"
4. A BHANAARACH CHIUIN (Call the cows home) - 1'46"
5. TALADH AN LEINBH LOSA (The Christ Child Lullaby) Kate - 5'46"
6. ALASDAIR OIG MHIC 'IC NEACAIL (Alasdair, son of Neil) Mrs McDONALD
with Mr MacLENNAN, Dr & Mrs MacLEAN, Donald & Angus McKINNON - 3'07"
7. RINN MI MOICHEIRIGH GU EIRIGH (I rose early to herd the cattle) As
previous - 3'39"
8. BHEIR MI ORO (Version of The Eriskay Love-lilt) Mr McLENNAN - 0'56"
9. B'E SUID AN CHIUIL BACHALACH (He of the curly locks) Mrs McLENNAN & ch - 2'21"
10. GURA MISE THA FO MHUCHAD (It is I that is sad) Don McKINNON & ch - 4'54"
11. HO-A-RO LADI BHIG (O Little Lady - Eriskay Lullaby) Don McKINNON & ch - 0'56"
12. HO MO NIGHEAN DONN NAN GOBHAR (My brown-haired goat-maid) - 2'21"
13. Interview with Alan Lomax about previous song, himself & next song
14. MO NIGHEAN DUIBH (My dark-haired girl) Don MacKINNON - 2.17
15. ORO CHINTAILE (The Song of Kintail) Pibroch with ch - 2.33
16. 3 Puirt-a-beul (mouth music) led by John McINNES: (Choose the boatman)
17. Why don't the pullets lay? - 1'59"
18. Another - 0'39"
19. FEAR A PHIGE (The Whiskey Jar) As previous - 0'37"
20. Talaidhean (Lullabies) COISICH MO RUIN - 0'41"
21. AR LEAM GURA HI - 1'18"
22. TRO CHIURAM Mary MacDONALD - 1'11"
23. Orain Luadhaidh (Waulking Songs) John McINNES & ch: CHUALA MI AN DE
24. GURA MISE THA FO GHRUAMAN ('Tis why I am sad) As previous - 1'57"
25. SORRAIDH LEIBH IS OIDCHE (Farewell and Good night) - 1'04"
NOTE #11. Compare with Calum Johnston's version in TOCHER #13 p192
Recorded by Alan Lomax in 1951 & edited by Peter Kennedy and first published
by Folktrax 1978.
Annie and Calum JOHNSTON both contributed songs to Marjorie Kennedy-Fraser,
most of them are in vols 2 and 3. Other books containing their songs are McLochlainn:
DEOCH-SLAINTE NAN GILLEAN (1948)/ J. L.Campbell: GAELIC FOLK SONGS FROM THE
ISLE OF BARRA (1950)/ Francis Collinson: HEBRIDEAN FOLKSONGS (1960).
Further stories: Annie Johnston & friends: FTX-463 THE MAGIC QUERN