FTX-043 - BLACKDOG & SHEEPCROOK
CAROLYNE HUGHES - Dorset gypsy
Carolyne Hughes (1902-1971) was the most regal of English gypsies. 7 Classic
Ballads, 16 traveller songs, dance-tunes, & some down-to-earth talk provide
a vivid picture of this "Queen of the Romany Gypsies". These are some
of the tracks from a memorable stereo recording by Peter Kennedy, made in her
caravan near Blandford in 1968, during which the farmer, over-laced with cider,
tried unsuccessfully with the aid of his two sons & two tractors, to tow
her caravan out of the field. Carolyne paid no attention, but just carried on
1. BLACKDOG AND SHEEPCROOK (or FLORA) talk after about her grandmother
2. BLIND BEETLES (or DIED FOR LOVE) explanation of song after - 2'54"
3. THE JEW'S GARDEN (Child #156) talk & words spoken bef & aft
4. LORD THOMAS & FAIR ELLEN (Child #73) explan aft - 2'12"
5. THE BIRD IN THE BUSH (or THREE MAIDENS) - 1'21"
6. PADDIES LIE DOWN (or PADDY BACKWARDS) talk bef - 1'15"
7. BILLY BOY (or MY BOY, BILLY) - 1'05"
8. THE DRAGGLE-TAILED GIPSIES (Child #200) explan bef & aft - 1'48"
9. TUNING UP (talk bef) Two pieces of mouth-music for Step Dancing - 1'10"
10. FLASH GIRLS AND AIRY (SEVENTEEN COME SUNDAY) - 0'56"
11. AS I WAS A-WALKING (THE SWEET PRIMEROSES) explan aft- 2'22"
12. JEALOUSY THOUGHTS (POISON IN A GLASS OF WINE) sung by her daughter,
Celia with talk bef - 2'05"
13. THE DROWSY SLEEPER by Carolyne with explan of Romany aft - 2'31"
14. GEORGIE (Child #209) talk bef & aft - 1'47"
15. THE SOLDIER AND THE LADY (NIGHTINGALES SING) talk bef & aft
16. I AM A ROMANY (SONG OF THE THRUSH) talk bef - 1'17"
17. TALK about her Romany life, travel, parents, today and future - 4'00"
18. ADIEU TO OLD ENGLAND, ADIEU talk bef & explan aft - 2'45"
19. THE FLOWER OF SERVANTMEN (Child #106) talk bef - 3'39"
20. THE LONDON MURDER (CRUEL MILLER) Talk after about grandmother -
21. A BLACKSMITH COURTED ME talk aft - 2'34"
22. THE SPRIG OF THYME (related to SEEDS OF LOVE) talk before about the age
of the song - 2'31"
23. THE LITTLE BOY (LADY MAISRY Child #65) - 2'54"
24. THE BRAKE OF BRIARS (BRIDGWATER or BRUTON TOWN) sung by her husband,
John Hughes (81), with talk after about his work - 3'58"
25. HENRY, MY SON (Child #12) sung by her daughter, Carrie - 2'42"
Recorded in Carolyne's caravan in a field near Blandford, Dorset 1968. Edited
by Peter Kennedy and first published by Folktrax 1975.
A further selection of songs recorded on this same occasion in 1968 are to
be found on FOLKTRAX 143:-
IF I WERE A BLACKBIRD -. CATCH ME BOLD ROGUE IF YOU CAN (Highwayman Outwitted)
- YOUNG WILLIE DROWNED Talk before & after - BRAKE OF BRIARS -- THE LONG LOST
CHILD (Little Chimney Sweep) - JEALOUSY THOUGHTS (Poison in a glass of wine) -
THE BUTCHER BOY - THE WAGER SONG (The Broomfield Wager) - GAME OF CARDS - ONCE
I HAD A COLOUR (The False-hearted Lover) - POLLY AND THE SAILOR - MY TRUELOVE'S
A SAILOR BOY - MEET ME TONIGHT BY MOONLIGHT (Prisoner Song) - O LORD I'VE SHOT
MY CHILD ( Burglar Song) - DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE - CAN YOU POOKER ROMANES? Conversation
& explanation - . SHE WAS A BEAUTIFUL GOLDEN PICTURE - ROAMING BEGGAR BOLD
- THE LAND WHERE THE SHAMROCK GROWS - MOTHER'S LAST LETTER - ERIN-GO-BRAWN - THE
THREE-LEAF SHAMROCK - BLUE-EYED LOVER - NEVER LEAVE YOUR MOTHER. TOM - BUTTERCUP
JOE - RING DAN DOO - ALICE BENBOW - COLD WINTER'S NIGHT (THE FORSAKEN MOTHER AND
CHILD) - SWAN-NECK RIVER - BOLD ROBERT EMETT - OLD TIME'S SAKE - MEET ME TONIGHT
IN DREAMLAND - DONNELLY AND COOPER -WHAT IS THE MEANING OF MOTHER? - COME BACK
TO ERIN - BARBARY ELLEN - COME ALL YOU FEELING MOTHERS. Other songs by the Hughes
family can be heard on FTX-408 and on the Second of Carolyne's Albums on FOLKTRAX
Further recordings of Romany gypsies: Rebecca PENFOLD (Devon) on FTX-042: Welsh
Romany gypsies: Hywel and Manfri WOOD with Nansi Richards (triple harp) on FTX-053;
Phoebe and Joe SMITH (Kent/Suffolk) on FTX-100; SMITHS, FUKKERS and SCAMPS (Sussex/Kent)
on FTX-140 - CAN YOU POOKER ROMANY? (Romany & Tinker Cant) on FTX-441.