FTX-909 - ANGELS HOVERING ROUND
JIM COUZA - Hammered Dulcimer
Besides 20 songs, airs & dance-tunes, Jim Couza demonstrates
just what this unusual instrument can do, sharing his own personal stdiies and
experience: the history of the instrument, the types of music that can be played
on it, techniques of chording & rolls, the different types of beaters, tuning,
spare strings and contemporary makers and players.
1. WHEN THAT I WAS WEE-WEE BOY followed by 2 American fiddle tunes: LIBERTY & FORK-ED DEER (talk before) - 4'10"
2. ANGELS HOVERING ROUND (Folk Hymn) (talk bef) - 5'47"
3. CHORUS JIG (3 part reel) & HORNPIPE (New England Country Dance) (talk
bef) - 4'09"
4. TIME HAS MADE A CHANGE (Folk hymn) Unaccompanied (talk bef) - 5'02"
5. JOHNNY GET YOUR HAIR CUT & THE FLOWERS OF EDINBURGH (collected by Samuel
Bayard from Sarah Armstrong, Derry, Pa. 18/11/43) - 2'41"
6. THE PEEKABOO WALTZ (talk bef) - 2'29"
7. PEEL THE CARROT & STARRY NIGHT FOR A RAMBLE (Jigs) (talk bef) - 2'49"
8. NONESUCH (Playford's Dancing Master) - 1'36"
9. Talk about history, players and makers etc. - 4'09"
10. Talk about techniques of playing, chording and accompanying songs followed
by THE WATER LILY - 7'02"
11. Talk about Ragtime, Irish music, Classical and Renaissance Music, using
felt-tip hammer with examples from Bach, Pasimedo di Geogio, Cesar Franck & MINUET IN G - 8'13"
12. Talk about using soft hammers for jazz etc. - 1'36"
13. Talk about tuning: piano, tuning-fork (A) & electric tuners - 2'46"
14. Talk about himself, Englsh instruments & good makers - 5'55"
Recorded by Peter Kennedy at Folktrax Studio, Portishead, Bristol July 1972.